In the late 1800's, C.D. Smith and W.L. Smith, who would later serve as Memphis Stone and Gravel's first and second presidents, were contractors on the Santa Fe Railroad across the Mojave Desert. They also constructed part of the New York City Subway System and were prime contractors on the Yellow Dog Railroad in Mississippi. Their mining interests began as the Smithdale Coal Company near Birmingham, AL.
In 1910, gravel properties in Camden, TN and Iuka, MS were leased and/or purchased to supply aggregate for railroad and road building. That same year, L.K. Thompson and C.D. Smith purchased The Exchange Building of Memphis as the corporate office of Memphis Stone and Gravel. C.D. Smith was named the first president.
In 1942, assisting in the war effort, Memphis Stone and Gravel was the prime contractor for Halls Air Force Base and Murfreesboro artillery ranges. Meanwhile, North Mississippi was graveled and surfaced with materials provided by Memphis Stone and Gravel Co.
In 1971, Memphis Stone and Gravel Co became affiliated with Lehman-Roberts Co. through common ownership and remains so to date. The company operates one operation in Tennessee and three in Mississippi. Memphis Stone and Gravel Co. continues to mine several clay gravel sources for base materials in both states.
Our company's reputation for supplying quality sand and gravel for a variety of uses and to reclaim mined lands to their former state of beauty and productivity remains unchanged in more than 90 years.